Home Help Search Login twitter
  October 25, 2014, 04:06:34 pm fans online at A+F Welcome, Guest. Please Login to gain full access.  
Please be advised that the message board is read-only, and that member login has been disabled.
  Always & Forever // Messageboard
  « Other »
  Books
(Moderators: Flummoxed., Brenda, Solskie, Deenan (O.L.C.), Yeux de bleu, Harmonica!, Lisbeth Salander)
  HP Vs LOTR
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print
  Poll
Question: Which books did you like better

Harry Potter   11 (20%)
Cant decide   17 (31%)
Lord of the Rings   26 (48%)
    
Total Votes: 54  

   Author  Topic: HP Vs LOTR  (Read 5738 times)
m
Be yourself. Let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish.
*
*****

Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 3707



Going against the grain of society

View Profile
Re:HP Vs LOTR
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2008, 06:21:44 am »
Reply with quote

^ Thanks for replying - you know, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out.  From the extract, though, I think it helps the story move fast - unlike Tolkien, JKR doesn't go overboard with detail - she's a storyteller and the story comes fast, and that's the reason for all the interrupted speech, IMO.
Report to moderator   Logged

Green_Lanta
Elijah Obsessed!
****

Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 912



Queen Gem: Gyspy, Genie, Goddess, GEEK!

View Profile
Re:HP Vs LOTR
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2008, 06:34:53 am »
Reply with quote

Yes, I agree, the story sure moves a damn sight faster than LOTR, but if you enjoy reading a story, not just for the plot, but also to savour language in its written form, then DH isn't gonna cut it!

BUT... I still loved it, that's why I've read it 3 times and am now reading it to Charlotte.   It's just that I find I can't just "read" it aloud, I almost have to "act" it out (complete with different accents would you believe... I've almost perfected Hermione's sarcastic haughty, permanently terrified tone lol! )
Report to moderator   Logged

m
Be yourself. Let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish.
*
*****

Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 3707



Going against the grain of society

View Profile
Re:HP Vs LOTR
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2008, 06:36:18 am »
Reply with quote

^ haha, the accents are a must.

I appreciate what you're saying, that LOTR has gone further that HP in using lyrical language etc.
Report to moderator   Logged

Green_Lanta
Elijah Obsessed!
****

Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 912



Queen Gem: Gyspy, Genie, Goddess, GEEK!

View Profile
Re:HP Vs LOTR
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2008, 06:51:35 am »
Reply with quote

I can do a spot-on Hagrid too

JK Rowling is obviously extremely knowledgeable when it comes to myths, legends and folklore though, and the foresight and planning that went into the HP series is incredible! 

What I mean by this is, it's obvious when reading the later books, say from GOF onwards, that the smallest, seemingly insignificant character names and details in the first books were all purposeful additions from the "get go"... i.e. Every layer of detail is ultimately revealed to have a reason for its inclusion.  So for this I give JK props  ... What a mind!
Report to moderator   Logged

lackadaisy
Elijah Worshipper
**

Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 261





View Profile
Re:HP Vs LOTR
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2009, 04:39:50 pm »
Reply with quote

This is a toss up for me.  While LOTR is much more eloquent and expansive, Harry Potter just tickles my fancy in a way that makes me read it over and over...  It's also written for a younger group of people, so it's easier to read. 

Henceforth, I prefer to read Harry Potter and watch Lord of the Rings.
Report to moderator   Logged
Danny~desu
Forum Chatterbox
***

Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 486



...I have a crown...

View Profile WWW
Re:HP Vs LOTR
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2009, 06:07:01 pm »
Reply with quote

there is no way HP beats LOTR even if its the last book on earth people will still go 'now lord of the rings, there was a book!'
JK -sell my soul- rowling cant write action or scary moments for toffee so that doesnt help the books at all! the films are the only good past no. 3 and im not going to bother with no. 7/8 as i HATED the last book and see no reason why i cant be put into one film.
LOTR is just one of the classics, like Narnia and the Bible...
there is so much more detail on everything in middle earth! how it was created, what came before, how magic came to the land, the elves, Men, Hobbits, its so expansive and detailed its like reading a travel guide to the place! thats what keeps the 'magic' of the book alive to fans. you can totally escape into the world, HP you can touch on the surface. its all about Harry and his predictable life story.
plus i think HP has a certain target age in mind... and it aint old. not saying thats bad, but it just means that past a certain age the fanbase dwindles. i have loads of books from childhood i read, LOTR being one of them, that i re-read, but HP i wouldnt bother going over it again.

good topic by the way! theres been so much of this between alot of my friends so i can share with you lot now 
Report to moderator   Logged

Hobbit-san ~ Dan ~ Forum King ~ Mini-Muffin ~ Sugar Pops ~ Dapper-Dan
m
Be yourself. Let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish.
*
*****

Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 3707



Going against the grain of society

View Profile
Re:HP Vs LOTR
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2009, 05:00:49 am »
Reply with quote

Interesting reply Dan - I really like this topic.


Quote from: Danny~desu on February 13, 2009, 06:07:01 pm   

LOTR is just one of the classics, like Narnia and the Bible...

I hate Narnia.  And I don't think somehow I'll ever sit down and read the Bible. 
Report to moderator   Logged

Danny~desu
Forum Chatterbox
***

Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 486



...I have a crown...

View Profile WWW
Re:HP Vs LOTR
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2009, 05:36:23 pm »
Reply with quote

you should. given it forms a religious belief system, it can be a really good story book. but i feel Im going off topic...
Report to moderator   Logged

Hobbit-san ~ Dan ~ Forum King ~ Mini-Muffin ~ Sugar Pops ~ Dapper-Dan
jen10
Guest
Re:HP Vs LOTR
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2009, 06:59:46 pm »
Reply with quote

i read the bible a little...i really didn't get it.
Report to moderator   Logged
Green_Lanta
Elijah Obsessed!
****

Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 912



Queen Gem: Gyspy, Genie, Goddess, GEEK!

View Profile
Re:HP Vs LOTR
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2009, 07:36:36 am »
Reply with quote


Quote from: Danny~desu on February 13, 2009, 06:07:01 pm   

there is no way HP beats LOTR even if its the last book on earth people will still go 'now lord of the rings, there was a book!'
JK -sell my soul- rowling cant write action or scary moments for toffee so that doesnt help the books at all! the films are the only good past no. 3 and im not going to bother with no. 7/8 as i HATED the last book and see no reason why i cant be put into one film.
LOTR is just one of the classics, like Narnia and the Bible...
there is so much more detail on everything in middle earth! how it was created, what came before, how magic came to the land, the elves, Men, Hobbits, its so expansive and detailed its like reading a travel guide to the place! thats what keeps the 'magic' of the book alive to fans. you can totally escape into the world, HP you can touch on the surface. its all about Harry and his predictable life story.
plus i think HP has a certain target age in mind... and it aint old. not saying thats bad, but it just means that past a certain age the fanbase dwindles. i have loads of books from childhood i read, LOTR being one of them, that i re-read, but HP i wouldnt bother going over it again.

good topic by the way! theres been so much of this between alot of my friends so i can share with you lot now 

Ah Dan!  Such controversial views, hehe

No, but seriously, I take "umbridge" (inside HP-world joke  ) at your claim that... to paraphrase your good self... JK Rowling can't write suspense/dramatic moments for s***  ) and also at the implication that the series can't really hold the interest of more "mature" readers.

As an older chick, I've read LOTR, HP, the entire Bible and also the first two books in the Narnia series, and I've enjoyed them all, for different reasons and to varying degrees. 

Narnia didn't really grab me, though "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" was quite enjoyable and I've seen both movies...

I ADORE both the book AND movie versions of LOTR, and also love the Harry Potter book series, though to be honest Dan I also found the first half of "Deathly Hallows" pretty boring/irritatingly written. (see my earlier posts in this thread)...

IMO, there are some problems with JK's writing-style, and issues of originality, but this can be said about many a famous writer's work, Tolkien included.  Still, I wouldn't miss the DH movie/s for the world!

History will be the judge of course, but IMHO JK Rowling will be acknowledged for many years to come as an author of classic fantasy literature, alongside Messrs Lewis and Tolkien. 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 07:37:32 am by The Gemstar » Report to moderator   Logged

Cam Miss Bloom
Did I miss 60B?
*
*****

Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 4409





View Profile
Re:HP Vs LOTR
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2009, 05:06:13 pm »
Reply with quote

Well, both created different worlds, but I do rather LotR, definately. I think it is written is better, and the development of the characters is much, much better.

I'm a little bitter towards Rowlin, because I think there are some fine characters she could have put in the story in such different ways and they would make the story so much richer, but she didn't. And what also bothers me is that on her speech (in interviews and such), she kinda tells everyone how she wants you to read the book: for example, she already said that she loves Sirius and that it was super hard to kill him, and said that Snape is truly a horrible person and that she did him with a teacher that she hated in mind. You see, that is the way she wrote it, doesn't mean I have to read it that way, but it seems she doesn't think like that. I, for instance, think that Sirius and Snape have a lot more in commom than she even realises. ;-) I think it's wrong for a writer to tell his public how to read their book, you know? Makes it less fun.

Also, I didn't like the last HP book... it was too rushed, not as deep as I thought it could be, and kinda predictable. A book with a bad end is always a turn off for me.

I think I said too much. LMAO!

Anyway, I have my problems with Rowlin, but I love HP nonetheless. I definately love MUCH more the LotR trilogy, though.
Report to moderator   Logged

Desert Rose
Elijah Obsessed!
****

Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 1015





View Profile
Re:HP Vs LOTR
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2009, 05:07:54 pm »
Reply with quote

I liked all the reviews up

but what i got from what you said Dan...that you really don't like HP series that much
Report to moderator   Logged

Green_Lanta
Elijah Obsessed!
****

Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 912



Queen Gem: Gyspy, Genie, Goddess, GEEK!

View Profile
Re:HP Vs LOTR
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2009, 06:40:58 pm »
Reply with quote


Quote from: Cam Miss Bloom on February 16, 2009, 05:06:13 pm   

I'm a little bitter towards Rowlin, because I think there are some fine characters she could have put in the story in such different ways and they would make the story so much richer, but she didn't.

Just interested in which characters you think could have been developed further Cam?  In my opinion, Lupin is one of those, but if I thought about it longer I'm sure I'd come up with more. 

Oh yeah, I thought she'd do more with Aunt Petunia... she explored this a bit in OotP and DH, but IMHO she could have gone a lot further.


Quote:
And what also bothers me is that on her speech (in interviews and such), she kinda tells everyone how she wants you to read the book: for example, she already said that she loves Sirius and that it was super hard to kill him, and said that Snape is truly a horrible person and that she did him with a teacher that she hated in mind. You see, that is the way she wrote it, doesn't mean I have to read it that way, but it seems she doesn't think like that. I, for instance, think that Sirius and Snape have a lot more in commom than she even realises. ;-) I think it's wrong for a writer to tell his public how to read their book, you know? Makes it less fun.

I have to disagree with you here. ^  When anyone is interviewed, including JK Rowling, they are being asked for their personal opinion, and I feel they have the right to express it.  JK created the world of HP, and so naturally she'll have her own opinions on each of the characters, her favourites, and so forth... It doesn't mean she's TELLING anyone else how to read her books.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

In one interview for DH for example, she said she gave one character a "reprieve" from fictional death (Mr Weasley I believe) because she couldn't bear to kill him off... but her saying that didn't make ME feel the same way!  Not to sound heartless, but it honestly wouldn't have bothered me if she'd killed off Mr Weasley, (at least no more than many other characters she DID give the axe!)

I also disagree that she didn't realise the similarities between Sirius and Snape.  In fact, IMO she addresses the similarities indirectly (through Dumbledore's observations/pensieve scenes etc), but this will take too long to discuss fully here, and is a bit off topic, lol!


Quote:
Also, I didn't like the last HP book... it was too rushed, not as deep as I thought it could be, and kinda predictable. A book with a bad end is always a turn off for me.

^  This is where I agree with you Cam.  I really didn't enjoy the first half of DH... I kept waiting for something to happen that I could sink my teeth into, it seemed to drag and was quite badly written.  BUT the ending was just wonderful as far as I'm concerned!

Report to moderator   Logged

Cam Miss Bloom
Did I miss 60B?
*
*****

Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 4409





View Profile
Re:HP Vs LOTR
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2009, 07:38:00 pm »
Reply with quote


Quote from: The Gemstar on February 16, 2009, 06:40:58 pm   
Just interested in which characters you think could have been developed further Cam?  In my opinion, Lupin is one of those, but if I thought about it longer I'm sure I'd come up with more. 

Oh yeah, I thought she'd do more with Aunt Petunia... she explored this a bit in OotP and DH, but IMHO she could have gone a lot further.
Lupin is definately one! The Malfoys are other, especially since she seemed to put Draco closer to the spotlight on the fifth book but then thought better of it and didn't developt it much, at least not as much as I thought she would.


Quote:
It doesn't mean she's TELLING anyone else how to read her books.
For someone like you and me, who understand what reading is all about and who can create an opnion of their own, it truly doesn't compromise the reading. But I do think that for the youger ages, the children, that used to read all her books, it gets a bit complicated seeing the woman who created all that saying Snape is aweful and don't agree.
Report to moderator   Logged

Green_Lanta
Elijah Obsessed!
****

Offline

Gender: Female
Posts: 912



Queen Gem: Gyspy, Genie, Goddess, GEEK!

View Profile
Re:HP Vs LOTR
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2009, 08:23:25 pm »
Reply with quote


Quote from: Cam Miss Bloom on February 16, 2009, 07:38:00 pm   


Quote from: The Gemstar on February 16, 2009, 06:40:58 pm   
Just interested in which characters you think could have been developed further Cam?  In my opinion, Lupin is one of those, but if I thought about it longer I'm sure I'd come up with more. 

Oh yeah, I thought she'd do more with Aunt Petunia... she explored this a bit in OotP and DH, but IMHO she could have gone a lot further.
Lupin is definately one! The Malfoys are other, especially since she seemed to put Draco closer to the spotlight on the fifth book but then thought better of it and didn't developt it much, at least not as much as I thought she would.

IMO she expanded Draco and his family's roles/characters in Book 6, but dropped the ball with the Malfoy family in Book 7 just when it would have been good to see their personalities and motivations developed more.


Quote:
It doesn't mean she's TELLING anyone else how to read her books.

Quote:
For someone like you and me, who understand what reading is all about and who can create an opnion of their own, it truly doesn't compromise the reading. But I do think that for the youger ages, the children, that used to read all her books, it gets a bit complicated seeing the woman who created all that saying Snape is aweful and don't agree.

I DO see your point with impressionable young readers, but I hardly think it's Jk's fault that ppl are so fascinated by every aspect of her books that they demand interviews and more, more, more information into the characters etc.

Minor spoiler:

As for Snape, I think JK makes it pretty clear that Snape is in fact NOT all bad, but that he does have a... how shall I put this(?)... "unfortunate" personality.   IMO the books seem to illustrate the moral that people can be vivacious and socially "popular" like James and Sirius, and still not be perfect saints... and conversely, people may be uptight or petty, like Snape, but still have a brilliant mind and be heroic in other less obvious ways. 

JK knows that her world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters , just as ours isn't black and white.

Report to moderator   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Reply Notify of replies Send the topic Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: 
Always & Forever // Messageboard | Powered by YaBB SE
© 2001-2002, YaBB SE Dev Team. All Rights Reserved.

hosting & support by ejwsites.net

Page created in 0.119 seconds.